The customer is an American company that offers a cloud-based platform, which integrates all operations and customer channels with a Point of Sale (POS) for single and multi-location businesses worldwide. The solution brings together front-of-the-house and back-of-the-house operations into a single dashboard while the backend of this iPad-based POS solution has an administrative interface to operate the system and collect reports. It can be managed via a mobile device or a web browser.
When the customer came to MERA, a division of Orion, the manual regression testing process for a new release of the backend took up to two weeks. The MERA team was asked to develop and implement an automated solution for regression testing to speed up the process. The customer outlined one more requirement: the automated regression testing solution had to be integrated with the customer’s current test management and defect management tools.
The MERA team adopted a Ranorex tool for the test automation development. The designed solution combined the core functions of Ranorex tool with a framework developed by MERA engineers that involved Ranorex and C# programming language. Best coding practices were adopted during development of the framework.
MERA provided the customer with a deployed automated regression testing solution that replaces the manual regression testing for a significant part of the customer’s web-based products. Implementation resulted in a dramatic improvement in regression testing execution time, and the solution is fully integrated into the customer’s testing process. High scalability of our solution allows the customer to extend it easily and rapidly by adding new automated tests or updating existing ones. To make further extension and support of the solution a seamless and comfortable process, MERA experts conducted a training for the customer’s team, as well.
- Ability to execute regression testing periodically. The automated regression testing begins with the press of a button.
- Ability to execute several packages of test cases in parallel: simultaneously and independently.
- The automated regression testing solution sends the test results to the test management tool already used by the customer, thus enabling integration of automated regression testing into existing regression testing processes.
- Flexible configuration of major parameters for regression testing that’s managed in a separate configuration file. No hardcoded values involved.
- In the event of automated test case failure, the solution creates or resurfaces a defect in the customer’s defect management tool and provides details about why this error resulted in test failure.