The Rapidly Evolving Telecommunications Landscape
Investments towards enhancing telecommunications networks will surpass $1.1 trillion over the next five years, focused mostly on 5G (source: GSMA). However, with average revenue per user at an all-time low, data consumption alone will no longer be the primary driver of ROI or growth for communication service providers.
For Communication Service Providers (CSPs), future growth hinges on building capabilities to deliver differentiated services across collaboration, content, and hyper-automation. As technology deployments across smart manufacturing, smart cities, IoT, telemedicine, retail, transportation, and education continue to grow, CSPs can partner with enterprise clients in building solutions and taking them to market. CSPs must also develop IT capabilities for easy integration by collaborating with other ecosystem participants in areas related to IoT, data & analytics, AI & ML, content, gaming, edge computing, and security.
As CSPs focus on transforming into digital service providers, Network Equipment Providers (NEPs) can offer their CSP clients end-to-end solutions to optimize time-to-market and cost. Increasing network complexity, along with demand for equipment built for multiple services around voice, data, video, and differentiated solutions, requires NEPs to innovate rapidly.
Three Decades of Experience
Orion has served the telecommunications industry for over three decades. We have enabled clients in various telecoms domains, both from fixed and mobile networks, in implementing enterprise and cloud-based solutions.
More than 40% of global mobile traffic is handled by the software developed and maintained by our engineers.
Orion works with CSPs, NEPs, OEMs in product development, network design and deployment, and sustaining engineering. We offer expertise that extends across the full technology stack: embedded systems, firmware, OS, application, networking, and UI/UX. We provide “white-labelled” technical resources and services that perform as extensions of our clients’ own teams.
- We are up to date with technology and implement agile methodologies to ensure that our customers receive solutions tailored to their needs.
- We offer unsurpassed telecoms engineering services with next-generation communication technologies.
- We can take over the full software development life cycle for both backend and frontend, from analysis and design, to QA and maintenance.
- We can even help you generate revenue faster by bringing services to market at a quicker pace.
Orion helps leading telecommunications brands accelerate their digital transformation journeys.
A) 5G Solutions
1. Telecoms Engineering Services
We provide domain expertise required to deploy, integrate, optimize and manage:
- 5G RAN: Migration from custom-built network nodes to network functionality implemented in software running on a generic hardware compute platform. As network operators look to transition to a vRAN architecture for 5G, using Open RAN interfaces can reduce the cost of deploying the new 5G technology. The multi-vendor model promised by Open RAN introduces greater network complexity and difficulties maintaining system integration.
- Optical Backhaul: To power advanced services that 5G offers – autonomous cars, augmented reality, virtual reality and more.
- Edge Computing: Ensure low latency, high bandwidth, device processing and data offload as well as trusted computing and storage.
- SD-WAN: Offer increased network uptime, improved quality of service with application level awareness, higher security, application optimization, higher capacity bandwidth, centralized management and network visibility.
- IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem): Enable the convergence of data, speech and mobile network technology over an IP-based infrastructure.
- Security: Allow communication networks to handle the increased complexity and exponential rise in current cybersecurity threats.
- Applications: Manage and enhance applications to address changing business requirements and provide first/second/third line support, migration and monitoring applications, proactive risk management.
2. Operations Support System (OSS) & Business Support System (BSS) Modernization
Neither communication service providers nor network equipment manufacturers have time for inefficiencies in business climates that demand high performance. We can modernize tech stacks to optimize operations, lowering OPEX and supercharging release cycles. Over the past 20 years, we have supported over 30 full featured network and element management solutions. We can help with:
- Automation and AI
- OSS/Cloud migration
- API-fication using microservices
- Application modernization
- Migrating applications to cloud
- Data migration
- Fault management of events, alerts, threshold triggers and correlation to root-cause-analysis
- Configuration management, including device provisioning, configuration auditing, inventory, discovery, and firmware updates
- QoS analytical features, including Radio Access Network (RAN) conditions analysis, UE Positioning, Frequency Plan Changes, ANR, Neighboring Cell Usage, Call Failure Analysis, Cell Detection Algorithms w/frequency and Distance Ranking, Handover Tuning, and SS7 Network Monitoring
- Administration function implementations in virtualized, cloud, or hosted environments, including automated system deployment, upgrades, maintenance, and backup/restore
- Security Management including user management, activity monitoring, threat detection, and device authentication
3. Network Virtualization
Network virtualization is vital to maintaining pace with unprecedented and unrelenting user demands. We can collaborate with key product vendors to deploy and integrate systems in creating the virtualization layer. Our experience includes:
- NFV: VNF implementation, service function chaining, management and orchestration
- Application/platform migration
- High availability services/systems development (five nines) including geo-distribution and geo-redundancy with load balancing
- Dockerized applications development and orchestration using Kubernetes
Orion can help provide solutions which enabling onboarding, verification, interoperability, configuration, management, and orchestration of vNFs across vendors.
4. Network Cloud/MEC
Hyper-connectivity in network data and infrastructure is now especially prevalent. Cloudification and automation across the Exchange-to-Exchange (E2E) telecoms stack have never been more important.
Orion’s expertise in adoption of cloud in the core network and at the edge is unparalleled. Services include:
- Migrating network applications and data to the cloud
- Provisioning and managing network cloud configuration to modernize infrastructure
- Optimizing network loads to save costs with application/platform migration to the Cloud
- On-premise/Public/Hybrid Cloud solutions
- Edge Cloud
- Cloud DevOps
- AI/Big data
B) Remote Work Solutions
1. Customer Acquisition & Onboarding
Reimagine customer journeys for attracting, engaging, acquiring, and monetizing new subscribers in a contact-less, content centric model using experience design and data analytics. Our expertise includes:
- Continuous delivery and integration cycles to help application development teams deliver code changes more frequently and reliably. This results in faster deployment of customer offerings.
- Analytics-enabled insights for ongoing customer acquisition, growth and retention.
- Capabilities to deliver a scalable B2B2X monetization platform usable for both B2C and B2B customers.
- Open-API platform to enable interoperability and ease of onboarding new partners and services.
2. Virtual Office Solutions
We provide integration, installation, customization, and technical support for work-from-home and virtual office services.
C) MSP Solutions
We have on-demand expertise to onboard and assume operations of large corporate networks, white-labelled security and management of SMB networks:
- Strong understanding of protocols and implementation of major network elements used within cellular networks, including eNodeB, Evolved Packet Core (EPC), IMS, HLR/HSS, SS7/SIGTRAN, Diameter, Call Session Control Function (CSCF) and many others.
- Migration of network infrastructure to non-proprietary hardware, servers, or cloud with either custom development or Open Source.
- Knowledge of OSS systems and implementation of Operations, Administration, Maintenance, and Provisioning (OAM&P).
- Implementation of cellular devices including mobile phones, cellular based peripherals, gateways, and cellular terminal adapters.
- IP Networking
- SDN: SDN Controller & OpenFlow implementation, integration & support, bare metal firmware development, OpenStack, OPNFV, and OpenVSwitch
- L2/L3 protocol stacks implementation, integration & support (data, control, management plane)
- Software development for network processors
- Software development in OTN Control plane
2. Private LTE Applications
We have deep domain knowledge of Private LTE applications, partnerships, and IoT product development expertise to help deliver vertical industry applications that exploit Private LTE capabilities for connected enterprise and Industry 4.0.
3. Unified Communications
- Implementation and support of UCaaS including Carrier Grade reliability.
- Contact center solutions and migration to cloud.
- Implementation of PBX and Cloud PBX solutions supporting Enterprise, Government, and E911 Services.
- Working knowledge of OpenSource including FreeSwitch, Kamailio, Kazoo, NGINX, and others.
- End-to-end knowledge of Enterprise Audio/Video Conferencing solutions.
- Full implementation of Client Devices including Desk phones, Conference Phones, Soft Clients, and Web Clients, and WebRTC.
4. Streaming Applications, Devices & Platform Development
We have assisted numerous customers in getting video streaming content online. Our experience includes:
- Developing various video streaming apps on Android, iOS, ROKU and Smart TVs with
- UI/UX graphical design experiences for Video Streaming
- Custom UI elements
- Integration of AD (advertising) services
- Integration of analytics (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics)
- Integration of Adobe Pass
- Submission and publication on App Stores or ROKU Channel store
- Zodiac AppStack, a complete software stack built on top of the AOSP HAL (hardware abstraction layer), that can be installed on Android compatible set-top boxes and other managed devices. Operators have greater control over usage data, control over OTT apps offered on the managed device and built-in advanced media features such as fast channel change and add-on features such as advanced advertising, diagnostics and custom integrations.
- Zodiac Stack, a hardware-agnostic solution, today runs over 150 different set-top models spanning most major set-top, chipset and conditional access vendors. It supports all generations of set-top boxes, from the very first generation to today’s cutting-edge models. Supports Set-Top-Boxes and media streaming devices built on top of either Android or Linux.
- Zodiac Matrix, an integration hub that is preconfigured for video service delivery BSS/OSS systems, ports over 100 BSS/OSS vendor system APIs to a common data model, including most major backoffice, conditional access, metadata, biller, VOD, network DVR, switched digital video, OTT app, search engine, recommendation engine, ad decision engine, data collection and more such APIs.
- Support, maintenance, testing and automated testing.