Our client served major global enterprises with their tax needs. Unfortunately, the client had independent solutions for various taxation models, there was no uniformity in approaches, processes were not optimized, and tax compliance processes were not centralized, hindering the pace at which they could provide complex analysis and the insights that their own clients needed. There was also little collaboration between offices, knowledge sharing and distribution, and visibility into the availability of specialized knowledge and skill-sets in their workforce.
Orion worked with our client to develop a centralized tax platform which was a single source of truth for all tax engagements across different business models. The platform provided data collection and streamlining capabilities, combined with an intelligent workflow to process and calculate the tax liabilities including support of knowledge base and tax technical assistant validating the calculation and reporting process.
The platform provided the following benefits:
- Data gathering and storage; pulling data directly from client systems irrespective of source being structured/unstructured
- Data transformation through automated validation, mapping and tie-outs
- Guided workflow for the tax practitioner to follow
- Robust knowledge base including best practice and validation prompts
- Flagging of interdependencies and deficiencies in the data/validations
- Real time view of progress, lag and automated flow of data across teams
- Review and sign off module enabling negation of human errors while keeping human verification importance
- Analytics engine to derive knowledge out of the engagements
Reimagining the client’s tax processes into a single unified tax platform transformed the tax function for the client. It gave them a full digital experience, substantially improving the user experience and ease of access/use of the system and information for higher quality tax work. It also provided a consistent and accurate taxation approach across different business models and work streams, and a commercial edge for the go-to-market (GTM) strategy of the firm’s tax services.